From the latest Antilibraries newsletter, with some ideas about visualizing your reading as a map or landscape, and charting paths through it…
I’m interested here in the paths my reading takes over time, and how I might identify patterns and/or better plan how to traverse this landscape depending on contextual goals
We can navigate our reading landscapes…
- By map (list-making; planning out our reading)
- By feel (exploring, guided by intuition)
- In collaboration (reading with shared goals and travel companions)
And I can imagine more directed experiments, different map-making filters or route-planning strategies for specific scenarios:
- Group reading retreat
- Maximal relaxation and enjoyment
- Preparation for teaching a subject
- Long-term research project
- Topical book club
To leave you with a couple questions for now:
- Have you mapped or analyzed your reading for the past year(s)?
- Have you tried to chart out potential reading goals using some kind of particular system or metaphor?