Mapping your reading topography

From the latest Antilibraries newsletter, with some ideas about visualizing your reading as a map or landscape, and charting paths through it…

I’m interested here in the paths my reading takes over time, and how I might identify patterns and/or better plan how to traverse this landscape depending on contextual goals

We can navigate our reading landscapes…

• By map (list-making; planning out our reading)
  • By feel (exploring, guided by intuition)
  • In collaboration (reading with shared goals and travel companions)

And I can imagine more directed experiments, different map-making filters or route-planning strategies for specific scenarios:

• Group reading retreat
  • Maximal relaxation and enjoyment
  • Preparation for teaching a subject
  • Long-term research project
  • Topical book club

To leave you with a couple questions for now:

• Have you mapped or analyzed your reading for the past year(s)?
  • Have you tried to chart out potential reading goals using some kind of particular system or metaphor?
1 Like

Just joined and landed here… Interesting @Brendan and thank you I will think about it a bit deeper because I think it is interesting. So far I am part of a book club and a reading retreat, and then my friends recommend me books. it will be interesting to map last year and see the patterns. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks and welcome! It’s been quiet here as I haven’t spent much time lately nurturing the antilibraries site / community, but may at least resume the newsletter this year :slight_smile:

I will also mention we’re working on a new thing at Hyperlink that might be interesting for organizing reading clubs or collaborative learning experiments: https://hyperlink.academy/

And if you do end up reflecting / writing more about your reading patterns over the past year I’d love to see the results!

1 Like

Thanks @Brendan I subscribed to the link.
See you around hyperlink.academy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like