Antilibraries show and tell - Sunday 3/15 at 5pm ET

Trying out our first Antilibraries live event via remote Zoom call!

Starting Sunday 3/15 at 5pm Eastern, we’ll do a book show-and-tell. I’ll plan to keep it short (40 mins) since a) this is a test and not sure if many can even make it, and b) limitations of group calls on a free Zoom account.

Not much preparation needed, just pull a couple antilibrary books from your shelves that you’re excited about, and tell us a little about why you find them interesting.

We can also try using the forum for live chat during this show and tell.

Alright here’s the Zoom link! —

2 Likes

LMAO okay we’ve just disovered free zoom calls end super abruptly :laughing: Thanks all for joining! Here are the books everyone shared, feel free to discuss further below!

Brendan:

Peter:

Jinjin:

Marce:

Jared:

Celine:

CJ:

Also would love to hear what you thought of this format. Too quick? Just right? If there’s interest I wouldn’t mind getting a paid Zoom account to do longer things…but also kinda like having the time constraint to enforce a quick-ish pace!

Just the right amount of time, great meeting you all!

1 Like

It was a pleasure! Really like the format too - hoping to be a part of more of these!

1 Like

BTW, I was wrong about the meaning of Flaneur, it is even better for a travel magazine:

flâneur

1. a man who saunters around observing society.
2 Likes

Awesome, glad to hear it, will try to make it a more regular thing! Last time I did one locally in Brooklyn we chatted a bit about some fun ideas for kind of variations on the similar theme…e.g. everyone picks a book of a similar genre, or do the same thing but for websites. That could be a lot of fun to try.

Ahh yes I kinda remember that now. Like the French equivalent of a “dandy”.

The other word this brings to mind is dérive, similarly about a kind of urban wandering practice, but I think a bit more theory heavy lol (coined by Guy Debord, one of the main Situationists).

Oh, I think I have read about the concept of dérive, (probably in The Most Radical Gesture) but I did not connect both ideas. The magazine it certainly has some performative vibe to it.