Introduce yourself, antilibrarian friends!

Weekend Binges sounds like a good topic to start and I may shortly-- though I am going to try and think more about fleshing out a concept re: what I mean and why it seems useful to me other than just my limited resources/time, and how other people may benefit. I think there’s more in there; I’ve been thinking about it for a while but haven’t talked about it much. (Something something 280 characters is a massive tweet yet 280 pages is a comfortably digestible book etc)

I don’t yet have much in terms of parameters-- the parameter is mostly “books I can actually finish” that individual people around me Care About as primary motivation for reading it.

I am also interested in tending/participating in conversations re: IF/non-commercial/small games!!!
(Also helping ppl use the creation tools!!! If you have questions I have or will find answers)
I’ve been quietly observing/caring deeply about that space and community for a few years and it definitely is the main space where I experience most of my fiction intake

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks @evan and @morgane for talking up Revolutionary Yiddishland. First rec I’ve started reading from this forum and it’s really wonderful. Honestly it’s kind of emotional reading what these folks had to say about their judaism and their activism! If you’re interested in something similar, I’d recommend Studs Terkel’s oral histories too.

3 Likes

I finally started reading Revolutionary Yiddishland! I’m so impressed by the sheer number of first-hand sources. It’s incredible to hear everyone’s perspectives in their own words; that’s such a rarity in non-fiction, especially books that aren’t biographies of famous people.

@warshawshaw any recommendations on where to start with Studs Terkel?

3 Likes

Hey hey :wave:

I’m Kyle, another Brooklynite, working in and around creative technology. Additionally I’m a game developer! Super glad this community sprung up in the wake of LG and excited to take booklovin’ to a slower medium. I’m a book lover both from afar and up close, compulsively buying new and interesting things and only reading a small portion of them all. However I love being surrounded by their potential.

• What’s your all time favorite book (or three)?
    I’ve always loved books about different permutations of love and Soren Kierkegaard’s The Seducer’s Diary hit me at just the right time in life (entering college). Similarly, Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise came to me at a time where I was stepping through the same things as Amory (and moving to New York), so felt very much like I was reading another version of my life and stepping through the motions the book had already anticipated. And in between the two another totally captured me, which was Eugenide’s The Marriage Plot, which I think about at least once a month.

• What’s a book in your antilibrary (haven’t read yet but excited about)?
    My wife recently got me an honest to god paperback version of Computer Lib/Dream Machines which I’m very excited to dive into.

• Any particular topics / questions you’re excited to talk about here?
    One thing I’ve been really interested in is software for writing. I have an idea for some software meant for documentation, and am excited to discover ways books organize and catalog information as a route to understand what is possible.

Also I want to share a great Book Thing! I have 0 awareness of how big this thing is, but Penguin books puts out a quarterly zine called The Happy Reader. The first half is an interview with a famous person (of all stripes) who is a Known Reader and they interview them with the angle of books, and the second half is a set of 5-10 small essays and bits of ephemera about their book of the quarter. So in a month that was about The Black Tulip, there was a bit on Tulip farming, some essays on flowers, etc.

Of all the things I subscribe to it’s something I cherish the most because it feels like it’s made just for me. Even in sharing it I feel like I’m telling a secret, but I think it’s in good hands with all here. I highly recommend everyone subscribing, it’s something like $3 per.

Anyways that was a lot, but I don’t often get to talk books with people! Excited to get involved here and meet everyone else through these special things!

2 Likes

@morgane @evan @warshawshaw Revolutionary Yiddishland has also been in my to-read pile ever since I last binged on a Verso sale. Can’t wait to get to it!

1 Like

Welcome Kyle! Thanks for the book recs, I haven’t read any of these.

Definitely checking out “The Happy Reader” as well, looks great. Physical thing in the mail…nice! Love the look of the format w/ interview + thematic articles. Gonna try a subscription and order the latest issue which looks great (Laurie Anderson / Frankenstein).

This sounds super interesting, would love to hear more detail on what you’re thinking of and chat more about this, I think I can dig up some good links to share…feel free to start as a new topic here!

Hi all :wave:. I’ve meant to introduce myself months ago but never quite got around to it. My name is Kyle, I live in the Bronx and I love going for long walks around my neighborhood while listening to music or podcasts.

A couple of my favorite books:

• Surely you’re joking Mr. Feynman: If I recall correctly I think this was mentioned by others. I really enjoyed reading this one, it was a book that I just could not put down. I quite amused to learn how obsessed Feynman was about breaking into locked rooms and cabinets in Los Alamos laboratory.
  • How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming: This was a pretty quick and easy read but it was a lot of fun about how Pluto was demoted from planetary status. I liked the glimpse of what it was like to work in astronomy at Caltech.

Anti-library picks:

• Educated by Tara Westover. This is an autobiography about a woman who managed to escape an extremely controlling, conservative and uneducated lifestyle in Mormon Utah. She eventually managed to get into college and get a PhD in history.
1 Like

Hey Kyle thanks for joining!

Cool, hadn’t heard of this one but looks very interesting. Another astronomy / pop-sci one I enjoyed is Five Billion Years of Solitude: The Search for Life Among the Stars, about the history of searching for exoplants and possible extraterrestrial life/intelligence.

This looks pretty good as well! Now I’m wondering what other good learning / education-themed memoirs are out there…I guess the Autobiography of Ben Franklin might fit the bill. Feynman too to some extent.

Hey y’all! I’m Jared! I don’t really live anywhere properly at the moment, but I do spend a lot of time in Brooklyn and Dubai. I work on a project called fathom building decentralized tools for learning.

Fav books: Invisible Cities, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Ender’s Game, Deschooling Society, Mindstorms

Antilibrary: Thinking in Systems: A Primer has been sitting on my kindle for ages. Surfing Uncertainty by Andy Clark has been on my bookself for a while, and I very occasionally take stabs at it.

I’m excited to talk about book s and how people learn with and from them. “how people learn” is my big guiding interest at this point in time and drives a lot of my interests :stuck_out_tongue:.

Also! I’m soon getting a kobo after many many years of professing my love of my kindle. Kobo’s are pretty open systems, and store all the metadata for your books (like annotations, highlights, etc) in a simple database file that you can pull off and read. I want to build a system to pull my annotations from there and publish them to my website and anywhere else I want to! If anyone has any other ideas for things I could build to integrate with an e-reader, lemme know!

1 Like

Hey Jared, welcome! Lots of great books there in your faves list :slight_smile: Not familiar with Surfing Uncertainty but seems very interesting, will check it out.

Maybe we can start a topic specifically for sharing / discussing good books about learning, I’m very interested in that topic as well and would love to swap some recs + share a few from my antilibrary.

Curious to hear your experience with the Kobo. I knew it was a more open ecosystem just by nature of being ~not Amazon~ but didn’t know it made all the book/reading data more accessible as well. I’d love to learn more about the possibilities there…may have to get one myself! Maybe we can make a topic about exploring web + e-reader integrations + open reading data. @tomcritchlow has been doing some cool experiments on his site with annotations, personal wiki scripting, etc. and I think would be interested in this too.

Interested in fathom! And definitely count me in for books about learning and experiments in notes/annotations. Welcome!

2 Likes

Hey @tomcritchlow! Your wiki is what inspired me to start hacking on my own!

I’d love to jam on ways to work with data out of an e-reader. I had this trajectory where at first I was completely smitten with the simplicity of a kindle and it’s single-purposeness and then over time starting imagining ways it could integrate with other systems or be extended ( a simple one being plugging a keyboard into it and being able to write, a more contentious one maybe being able to read newsletters). I’m getting a kobo tommorow so I’ll pop some initial findings into a thread.

Ditto on a thread for books about learning. I’m travelling at the moment ( wow the US is big ) but I’ll create one at next opportunity if no one’s gotten to it yet!

1 Like

Hi, I’m Jay, an experience design person living in sunny Brooklyn, NY. Books sit between records and t-shirts in the pantheon of things that exist in far too great a volume for a studio apartment. My collection is full of hippie stuff.

Favorites are too hard. I dig all these though.
Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. A conservationist classic, and after reading it for a course taught by my uncle during ye olde college years, it just kinda stuck.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Roadtripping! Motorcycles! Philosophy! Another college find that lodged itself in there, and probably the reason I bought my first motorcycle.
Neuromancer by William Gibson. Quintessential cyberpunk. Technology is tight.

Antilibrary book is a little easier.
The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Knuth. It’s supposed to be super far from tactical writings on development, which tend to make my brain feel like hot soup, and instead focus on the theory of how one could go about writing competently. It’d be a dramatic departure from the sorts of things I usually read, so that’s neat.

There’s totally a topic I’m interested in!
I’m doing this intro so I can bounce over to the recommendation section and look for books about how to most efficiently learn new things. I’m also interested in seeing how y’all keep track of books you want to read, or books you think you might want to read based upon what you’ve read about them in another book, but totally need to do a bit of research on first. I find that without a bibliography, sometimes I have to slam through parts of a book a second time just to remind myself what that other thing I wanted to read was, and that’s a bummer.

And in the spirit of contributing something, I’m gonna big-up Melville House’s Art of the Novella subscription. It was a great way to be spoon-fed high quality short stories that were perfect for killing a few trips on the subway. It’s a good look for jackets with pockets season.

:v:t2:

2 Likes

Welcome Jay!

Sand County Almanac looks wonderful, definitely have to check that out. I see it described as a forerunner to Annie Dillard’s Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, which is one of my faves.

I also enjoyed both Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance & Neuromancer…though I think I read Zen like end of high school and it kinda went over my head at the time!

The Art of Computer Programming looks great…one of the big ones in my antilibrary is Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, also a classic in CS and known to be big & challenging. I have a copy but haven’t read past the first chapter. TAOCP looks even more intimidating (and more comprehensive/foundational)…four giant volumes! Good pick for an extremely committed multi-year reading group :smiley:

Apropos of just thinking about giant multi-volume magnum opus academic works, Christopher Alexander’s The Nature of Order (also 4 big volumes) comes to mind! (On science/life/order/design/architecture)

Awesome, yes please start up that topic any time!

Good question…I mostly use Goodreads for tracking books I’ve already read, and a general big antilibrary list for all the books I want to know about in some capacity, but not super specific w/ books to read next, or research on a specific topics, or books related to other books. Couple somewhat related things here:

But this could def be a new topic as well & something I should think about more! Definitely could do a lot more w/ building e.g. features on the antilibraries site to better support inter-book references or specific topical sub-lists etc. Curious to see how others may approach this.

Ah yeah, can vouch for @myacademy’s Melville House “Art of the Novella” selection–thanks for lending me all the ones you finished with! Discovered lots of nice bite size pieces of great literature that way.

1 Like

Hey, guys!

My name’s Rashan, and I’m currently a Congressional staffer on Capitol Hill focusing on tech and telecom policy. (I love politics, but I’m not the type to spar about it online - I come in peace!)

I enjoy spending time with my girlfriend (who’s living in Chicago for now) and my friends, running, and reading just about anything I can get my hands on!

Like many of you, I’m having a pretty hard time naming an absolute favorite book, but here are some favorites that quickly come to mind:

• Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
  • The Path to Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson, Vol.1, by Robert Caro
  • Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Fineman!, by Richard Fineman
  • American Icon, by Bryce Hoffman
  • The Right Stuff, by Tom Wolfe
  • American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Kai Bird
  • The Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin

My anitlibrary is currently massive, and seemingly getting bigger by the day! The most ominous item in it is probably Robert Caro’s 1974 Pulitzer Prize winner The Power Broker.

I’m excited to discuss the art of learning and growing from reading! Glad to be here! :smile:

1 Like

Hey Rashad, welcome and thanks for joining!

Great list here :slight_smile: I loved the whole Three Body Problem (and I think several others here did too!) Invisible Man is def in my antilibrary, I think I started it a reeeallly long time ago and only got a few chapters in and still have around somewhere…

Gotta look up some of the others! The Right Stuff sounds really interesting.

Welcome to the club :sunglasses:

I’m the inverse w/ Robert Caro — haven’t started the massive LBJ bio series, but really enjoyed The Power Broker. If you liked Path to Power I’m sure you’ll dig that one too, fascinating epic and particularly interesting for me living in New York and seeing how Moses shaped so much of the city.

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m from India and currently building LearnAwesome DOT org as a better replacement for GoodReads. My reading used to be very wide till a few years ago:

• Philosophy: Bertrand Russell is my favorite for his clarity, precision and courage.
  • Economics: Frederic Bastiat’s “That which is seen and that which is unseen”
  • Psychology: The Moral Animal

But recently, I have decided to go deeper into mathematics. The joy and beauty in mathematical ideas seems unparalleled to me :grin: . One of the obscure books that I found great was “The Magic & Joy of Exploding Dots”.

The books/authors I’d like to read soon are:

• Yudkowsky’s Rationality
  • Ken Arrow’s papers

Recently, I’ve been reading as much as I can about learning (How People Learn, Ultralearning, Atomic Habits and more). Partially motivated by the fact that I now have a child to teach and raise. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey, welcome! Cool, not familiar with Bastiat, it’d be fun to explore some classic economics texts more deeply. I don’t have much of a math background but I do enjoy reading really good math books! One I liked recently was How to Solve It. And one I picked up recently (but haven’t gotten into yet): The Nature and Growth of Modern Mathematics

Not familiar with Ken Arrow — can you say in a sentence or two what you find intriguing about his work? Thanks for posting some recs on learning in that topic as well…one of my personal biggest interests too!

(Look forward to chatting more about Learn Awesome on the other topics where you mentioned it!)

Ken Arrow is famous for his impossibility theorem that had huge implications in social choice theory (and voting systems). The theorem proves that no ranked voting system can have all 3 desirable properties. A lot of social issues that we see around us: polarization, only two extremist choices - are a direct consequence of the voting systems we have chosen to adopt.

Here’s a great interactive to learn about the flaws of different voting systems: https://ncase.me/ballot/

1 Like